Skip to main content

Hot Off The Press

ECPE Writing - Sample Article (Fake news)

This is the fifth sample article candidates of the ECPE examination (Examination for the Certificate of Proficiency in English of the University of Michigan) My first post to deal with articles , explains what needs to be present in this type of piece of writing. As stated, examiners are looking for articles that elaborate on ideas and have solid arguments; are well organized; make use of a wide lexical and grammatical range; have an original ring to them (in other words, readers are able to distinguish the author's unique "voice").   Before reading, take a look at the following post if you haven't already done so. It will help you focus on the vital aspects you need to be aware of while reading the article and what you should make sure to use when you write your own.     The question appeared in Practice Tests for the ECPE Book 1 (revised 2021 version) and is accompanied by the following three writing prompts:  

Speaking Topics - Narration Questions in English-language Exams

https://argutelegacy.blogspot.com/2020/06/speaking-topics-narration.html
In my last post, I talked about how to deal with oral exam questions that asked candidates of English-certification exams -- such as the the Michigan State University (MSU) exam -- to describe someone or something. The post and questions that accompanied it were meant to help C2-level candidates, but the same questions could easily be used to get B2-level exam takers to speak more.

This post now deals with narrations, that is, questions which require candidates to speak about a past experience, a situation they had to endure or they enjoyed.

As I said in my last post, the questions that follow can be used by students and teachers alike as discussion starters, so even if you are not planning to sit an exam, you might find this article useful in terms of improving your English. Prepare vocabulary associated with the topic, or think about using linking words to sequence your ideas. These are just two of the "activities" teachers can promote as they discuss these questions with their pupils.

Those taking the MSU-CELP exam, IELTS, CPE, ECPE, ESB, LRN, TOEFL, PTE, BULATS, TIE, and similar tests will also benefit.


How to answer narration questions


We saw that there was a clear order in the way descriptions need to be tackled in the previous post (for those who would like to take a look, just follow this link). The same applies for narrations, and I would say that sequencing ideas is even more imperative in this case, as stories should have a beginning, middle and end to them or else things become rather confusing and confusion is most certainly not what we want to have the examiner deal with at the exam. 


A reminder: in order for an examiner to grade you, there needs to be ample material available for them to assess. If you don't say much, they can't be generous in their marks, so be prepared to speak (obvious remark, I have to add since the point of a Speaking exam is for you to speak).






 

So what do you need to do?



Step 1: The Basics

Background information that includes time, place, and people involved should be mentioned first. This is the same strategy used for the description questions we spoke of last time. 


This helps you ease into your answer by putting your interlocutor into the picture of things. Remember, you are telling a story about a time when something happened to you, so telling it like a story makes it even more interesting. 

Imagine being an examiner who, after 2 hours of interviews, has heard the same basic things being said over and over again, with nothing mildly relating to an interesting story. Add some creative vocabulary to create the atmosphere, to set the scene.


Step 2: Provide Conflict

You've spoken about the general state of affairs, now move on to the details. Sequence your story and include issues that had to be overcome if possible. Stories are only possible if some kind of obstacle falls in the protagonist's path. The same goes for your situation. 


If you have been asked to describe a time when you had to lie to someone, mention the difficulties you faced that made you resort to this solution instead of cutting to the chase. Do you think your answer will be lengthy if, after mentioning when this event happened and where you were at the time, you said what the lie was? Build up momentum by mentioning the things that forced you to lie. 

Next, compound the first motive with a second one before finally saying what the lie was. Let's look at a sample answer:

"I hadn't done my assignment because I'd been out with friends three days straight. My teacher was expecting the work on time, so I was forced to come up with an excuse I knew was a blatant lie. The story I came up with had to be good enough or else I was going to fail the class -- at least that's what my teacher told me three days before the deadline. Twice before I hadn't handed in my other assignments so this was going to be the end of the line for me, he said. On top of that, my parents had been notified a few weeks earlier, so I had been given a warning from them as well. What I dreaded the most wasn't so much being grounded for a week or two as the fact that they would cut my allowance until God knows when. And with me saving up to go on summer vacation with my cousins that year, getting on their bad side was not an option. So, I told my teacher the following thing: ..."

This example shows that inserting problems, or conflicts as this section's heading mentions, creates a much more interesting answer since it provides opportunities for more varied vocabulary. 



Conflicts can be ones created by other people (a parent making life difficult for a child), by social norms or regulations (something that constitutes a criminal act spices up a story), by the natural elements (for instance a storm at sea, or the weight of something due to gravity) or by self (someone fighting with their conscience over a decision they have to make). Simply try to add some kind of obstacle to develop your answer and enrich it with more lexical items.

Step 3: Resolution

Finally, finish off your answer by saying what happened in the end -- was there a happy ending to the whole experience, any silver lining or did tragedy strike? Don't forget to add your
feelings as well as those of others. 

If we go back to the example about the lie, say how things turned out. Did the teacher fall for it? What did your parents do? Did they find out or not? How did parents and teacher react? Were they angry, surprised, amused? Did you manage to go on vacation with your cousins? Did you feel relieved?

As you can see, this last section resolves all the conflicts that were mentioned earlier and winds the answer down.






http://argutelegacy.blogspot.com/2018/06/ielts-oral-part-2-list-1.html
Click here for IELTS Speaking tips





MSU- CELP Speaking Topics



Part 2:

Narrations





  • Tell me about a time when you lost something that was important to you.

  • Tell me about a time when you did something because you didn't want your friends to think badly of you.

  • Tell me about a time when you felt ashamed about something you had said or done.

  • Tell me about the plot of a thriller you saw recently and tell me why you liked it. 

  • Tell me about a time when you were really embarrassed.


  • Tell me about a time when you had to return a product you had bought back to a store.

  • Tell me about a time when you helped someone in need.

  • Tell me about a time when you went to a concert.

  • Tell me about a time when someone you trusted let you down.

  • Tell me about a time when you were wrongfully punished for something that wasn't your fault.

  • Tell me about a time when you worked very hard to accomplish something that needed a lot of preparation.

  • Tell me about a time when you had to convince someone else to do something for you.

  • Tell me about a time when you did better than expected on a test or assignment.

  • Tell me about a time that you did something that was quite dangerous.

  • Tell me about a time when had to fill in an application for a job, service, activity or course.

  • Tell me about the first time you realized what you wanted to do in life / what you wanted to be. What happened that made you realize this?

  • Tell me about a time when you saw someone again after many years.

  • Tell me about a time when you got into a serious argument with someone.

  • Tell me about a time when you were in primary school and you got into trouble for something. What happened?

  • Tell me about a time when you went on holiday with your parents.

  • I’d like you to think about the first time you traveled by boat, train or airplane. How was the journey?

  • Tell me about a time when all your efforts came to no use.

  • Tell me about a time when something or someone took you by surprise.

  • Tell me about a time when someone didn't keep their promise to you.

  • Tell me about a time when you had to do something very difficult, but you knew it was the right thing to do. 

  • Tell me about a time when you were really looking forward to something.

  • Tell me about the best vacation you’ve ever had. What made it so special?

  • Tell me about a time when someone or something really frightened you.

  • Tell me about a time when you had to move to a new house, city or country.

  • Tell me about a time when you organized an event.

  • Tell me about a time when you had to tell a friend of yours that you disapproved of their behavior.
  •  Tell me about a time when you were very worried about someone close to you.

  • Tell me about a time when you phoned or almost phoned the police.

  • Tell me about a time that you found yourself in a car accident.

  • Tell me about something a friend or relative of yours did that made you feel proud of them.

  • Tell me about a time when you had to break a promise you had made.

  • Tell me about a time when you did something you were very proud of.

  • Tell me about a time when you received the best or worst gift ever.

  • Tell me about a time when had to replace or fix something that you broke.

  • Tell me about a time when you won some kind of award.

  • Tell me about the first time you met someone you consider important to you.

  • Tell me about a time when you were furious with something a friend or relative of yours had said or done.

  • Tell me about a time when you spent more money than you should have.

  • Tell me about a time when you did something you knew would get you in trouble with your parents.

  • Tell me about a time when your curiosity either got you into trouble or helped you.
 




FOR MORE SPEAKING TIPS, CLICK ON THE IMAGE


https://argutelegacy.blogspot.com/search/label/Speaking




Popular posts from this blog

Writing Letters of Complaint - Useful Phrases

Whether it's to complain about something you bought or a service you found was unsatisfactory, as part of your job or because you are preparing to take an exam in English at B2 or C2 level, it is a fact that you should know the basics about writing or even orally expressing your dissatisfaction.  The following post should help you organize your letter or email (even an oral statement, if necessary) as well as give you some useful phrases you can use.

Virginia Woolf - The Legacy (Overview)

When a wife dies and leaves her husband her diary, all is possible. In Gil bert Clandon's case, the legacy his wife leaves him is much more than he could ever have imagined.  Virgi nia Woolf signs an exceptional short story which questions the foundations of marriage, people's need for communication by any means possible a nd their inclusion in a mutually beneficial partnership . When one reneges on that contract, the other will seek new outlets to grow , as p ersonal d evelopment in any marriage is inevitable. If that development is undertaken without any consideration for one's spouse, then problems will unavoidably ensue.

Tobias Wolff - Powder (Overview)

"Powder" is a short story intended to quickly state the obvious - a father's bond to his son is always a difficult thing to forge when parents aren't on good terms with each other. The level of difficulty in achieving this increases as fathers aren't used to explicitly explaining to their sons that they are trying to forge a stronger bond at a particular moment in time to begin with. Accordingly, the complications the father in this particular story is required to overcome are not only the time constraints the mother has placed on the trip as a whole or the mistrust towards her husband she has allowed her son to bear witness to which the father feels he must compensate for, but also the disparity in character traits that father and son exhibit. Having read the story for the first time, students predominantly respond to the query "What was the story about?" either with "I didn't get it. Some father and son skiing" or "S

Nadine Gordimer - An Intruder (Overview)

The short story An Intruder was incorporated in Nadine Gordimer's short story collection Livingston's Companions, published in 1970. As such, it must be read and viewed through the prism of her somewhat earlier works which dealt with South African society's inequality and the problems arising from the diseased status quo of the times. An Intruder focuses on relationships between characters and how perceptions of a situation differ in the eyes of each individual based on a combination of nature and nurture, or at the very least that is what Gordimer would have the reader gauge. What made James Seago what he is? Why is Mrs Clegg, Marie's mother, such a typical depthless wishful socialite with an exaggerated respect for higher social status? Couldn't Marie judge the merit of the man who treats her like a child or is she turning a blind eye to his behavior because it suits her? Whatever the answers to these questions, the one certainty we have is that the noti

C2 Sample Essay 8 (Parenting)

Writing at C2 level (Proficient User) on English language examinations is the same no matter the awarding body when it comes to writing essays. If you are a candidate giving an exam in English (IELTS, CPE, ECPE, CELP, LRN, ESB, TOEFL), make sure you read my earlier post What do I do with the sample writing found on this blog? to get the most out of the sample essays provided on Argute Legacy .     The topic of this essay is to discuss what the responsibilities of parenting are. If you are not taking an exam but need to discuss this topic, then read on and note down what you deem useful. If you intend to use this essay as part of an assignment, remember to paraphrase so as not to plagiarize. The topic is similar to what candidates expect in any other C2-level examination in that examiners want to see a well-organized, coherent and cohesive discussion of the issue with arguments and examples written in approximately half an hour. Whether or not you agree with the